Bhubble.com

Pellet Stove Advice

We're looking at some alternative heating methods, and originally was eyeing wood stoves.  Unfortunately, according to the research I've done which has been correlated by a few experts, it seems our space and install location of the stove isn't appropriate for a traditional wood stove .  Rather, it seems a properly selected pellet stove could be the ticket.  I was wondering if anyone in town has some recent experience to share with pellet stoves in general and specific models.  It seems that Harman and Quadra-Fire are popular choices as far as pellet stove brands go. 

I've had my Quadra Fire pellet stove for 7 years and it works great; It can be vented horizontally, usually comes with a blower, and operates off a thermostat (you can usually load it up and walk away for a day or two, comfortable knowing it'll kick on and off as needed).

The pellets come in 40 lb bags so you will need storage for them, ideally inside; plastic wrapped, they can still absorb enough moisture to ruin em if you store them outdoors or in a shed.

Because they come bagged, it's cleaner and easier to deal with than wood, BUT, the price of pellets has risen pretty steadily over the last few years- You're looking at $220-$250 a ton, then delivery and taxes on top. 50 bags to a ton, you get around 50 days of burn time ( a bag a day), so it's not too bad, but don't buy if you're all economy-minded; remember, the blower and thermostat run on electric, so there's a cost there, too, and in a prolonged blackout you could be screwed (I have a woodstove in the basement that helps out w supplementary heat, and will generate enough BTUs for the whole house in a blackout scenario)

The other advantage of going with a Quadrafire is that they are manufactured in Colville WA just south of here. Go to Spokane for a weekend, let your permitted duty-free allotment accrue, and buy it on your way home. They're NAFTA friendly, CSA approved, blah blah blah

Thanks for the info and advice Tyler!