Bhubble.com

Good neighbor guidelines for Rossland winter parking

With all that good advice to Aussie Kate about winter driving I thought I’d start a thread on parking etiquette in town during a big snow cycle. Here's my first cut. Thoughts? 

1.     Avoid using other people’s driveway as a turnaround if there’s fresh snow on it – especially if it looks like someone works to keep it clean. Tires compress the snow and driveways end up like a ripple chip – which makes the shovel session a lot harder than it needs to be.

2.     Nobody “owns” parking on the street (right?) but avoid parking ‘your’ car in front of ‘their’ house. And like the driveway above, if someone works to keep a spot clean, avoid poaching.

3.     When it dumps, you sometimes have to do whatever it takes. If you do have to poach someone’s shoveled spot, use it only long enough to get your groceries in and then hustle back outside to shovel out your own spot. Or move your car down the block to a neutral corner and enjoy the beautiful walk back.  

4.     This one trumps all the others: If you have a question or a gripe or a niggle about how or where people park, where they dump their snow, etc. etc. walk right up to your neighbor, knock on their door, introduce yourself, and have that tricky conversation. Just put it out there. It’ll all work out. Or make your notes friendly. See 5.

5.     No, this one trumps everything else. Don’t get too weird about of all this.

6. Get tuned into when the city crews make their rounds. These guys rock and anything we can do to give them a straight shot down a street makes life better for everyone.

Good advice.  I have street parked for several years and it's all about rotation and respect.  If you're able to park your car in a different spot every few days then the plows do a lovely job keeping your favorite spot clean.  Respect your neighbors especially if they have little kids or are elderly.  Definitely keep an eye out for the graders and their route and schedule around your block.  If you pay attention you will find they follow a very specific route and schedule.  Time it right and you never have to shovel again!

Don't you think we have enough rules in life without having "Rossland winter parking on the street after a snow storm rules"?

John P, you've confused rules with guidelines. Rules are rigid, usually come with some form of enforcement. Guidelines are meant to, well, guide. Such things are meant to create a space for common sense, a jumping off point for a conversation. I wasn't saying these are rules. Maybe re-read #5 again. just sayin'

Okay, I understand the difference.  Don't think there should be guidelines for this either.

Milty you've raised some good points,and made some good suggestions. For a lot of us that have been here a while, Rossland is growing too fast and your creating dialogue is the first step in reducing those growing pains

Milty is old school, he could b#tch like most of us do, he decided to start a conversation, JohnP your comments seem to strive to end it.Why?

For those of us long time mountain dwellers these guidelines may seem to be a case of stating the obvious/common sense, however we have many new residents unfamiliar with how the roads become slippery, narrower in winter, etc...

after 27 yrs of mountain living I've learned that the best "rule" is help each other out-winter can and will hit you randomly with every thing it's got!!! 

Hooray for dialogue!!  :) 

yeah, Kinnix. Just a conversation. Here's a cool note a friend emailed:

Your thread made me think about life in the congested parts of town.
One thing I eventually learned from a friend (with his pristine pathways) was to shovel as soon as you can. It took me a few years of walking on lumpy ice.
Now I shovel so much I laugh at the lazy whiners, and at the keen newbies who lift snow over the deck railing when it could just slide under.
Our dance with snow has many steps.
:-)

Great stuff Milty,,, but'  what happens to your pristine driveway when you are chillin in Mexico,,Hola'

I like this- Puts the emphasis on being considerate and mindful as well as encouraging others' input. I also like that it isn't being framed as directives, rather, these are 'suggestions' that are light enough to not come across as heavy-handed, douchey or passive-aggressive. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down.

I think the dialogue is great, don't get me wrong.  I just think that living in a very small town we lose sight of "real issues".  I lived in Canmore for many years and it got to the point of having rules and bylaws for everything.  Try living in the city where you have to worry about parking meters, vandalism, theft, and the list goes on.  Let's keep it in perspective.

Okay, so when I think of "real issues" what springs first to mind are mental health issues, which according to stats, affect 1 in 4 people, to a greater or lesser degree. So imagine how something seemingly insignificant to one person, like someone parking in your spot, might be just the thing to put someone else right over the edge. Maybe they've been hanging on their lives by just a thread, and the parking spot thing is the last straw. They take it out on their families, on their dog, on themselves... the list goes on.

Now flip the scenario around. The same person, living on the edge, comes home ready to pop, and there's their neighbour, extending a hand, checking in to ask if how they park their car is okay, sending a simple, subtle message that they are thinking and watching out for people other than themselves. Might be just the gesture that our troubled friend needed to hear right at that very moment.

So I was only thinking that a few reminders around how to be a good neighbour all add up to a supportive vibe, and who couldn't use a little of that.

btw, John, I appreciate your different point of view. Makes for an interesting dialogue. thx

Excellent post, Milty. 

Agreed with the comments on the City of Rossland crew. They want to do a great job and all they need from us is to get our cars out of their way as and when we are able. 

I also like your numbers 4 and 5. Assume the best of intentions on everyone's part and start the conversation from there. 

Thanks for the tips Milty! My partner Rico and I will take on any wise words that are offered :)

Oh and we got to Rossland safe and sound, our winter tyres worked incredibly well and we took it easy on the roads. Thanks again for everyone's help, we are very appreciative and are excited to be spending the winter in beautiful Rossland!

I was cleaning up my ads on Bhubble and came across this old thread and thought I'd resurrect it in case anyone might benefit from the discussion, etc. It's that time of year, and we have a good forecast for snow this week. Happy parking: Happy shovelling folks.

Nice to repost. Yes the city crew does a great job at trying to work with the parking issue. I find they can be a great help if you hear, or know they are coming to get out and clear what you can and they help move it away. I dont like too many rules. What I do like is for eveyone one to address the situation and all work together like a friendly community. Maby even clean someone elses spot if you know they are at work and won't get home until dark.  Also you can jockey your car around, if you are home and the crew will clear your spot in short order. Have a Nice Winter!!!